Summer is upon us, and one of the greatest ways to escape the summer heat is by heading to one of the beautiful Austin lakes. Whether you are a longtime resident, a visitor, or a new resident who is looking for homes for sale in Austin, Texas, a trip to one of these sparkling waterways can make summer seem a bit cooler and a lot more fun. From swimming, to boating, to fishing, to zip lines, Austin lakes have the kind of old-fashioned recreation that is great for the whole family.
- Lake Austin is narrow but pretty, with a constant water level, picturesque scenery, and great opportunities for people watching. It is the perfect place for boating, skiing, swimming, and camping at Emma Long Park. This is one of the most popular Austin lakes for jet skiing, tubing, kayaking, volleyball, barbecue, and hiking along the shore.
- Lake Travis offers almost 19,000 acres of water, with 270 miles of shoreline. With crystal clear, emerald green water, the lake offers phenomenal opportunities for boating, swimming, skiing, and fishing. There’s even a clothing optional beach, over at Hippie Hollow!
- If you’re looking for a thrill, check out Lake Travis Zip Line Adventures! With five lines ranging from 250 feet to over 2000 feet, zip line enthusiasts can enjoy some of the most amazing views of the Texas Hill Country, flying over incredible canyons and inlets. Then, enjoy a picnic, or some water sports and beach games, on the sandy shore.
No matter why you’re in Austin this summer, you owe it to yourself to spend some time enjoying the Austin lakes. If you’re looking for a new place to live, check out Belterra. A master planned community located between downtown Austin and Dripping Springs, Belterra offers beautiful homes, with city convenience, in the pristine Texas Hill Country.
This summer is shaping up to be a hot one, but that shouldn’t interfere with anyone looking for summer fun in Austin! Whether it’s indoor activities or something in the great outdoors, Austin has tons of great things to do for people of all ages. Whether you’re a longtime resident of the area or a newcomer who is shopping for homes in Austin, Texas, for sale, be sure to set some time aside to enjoy some of the great opportunities for summer fun in Austin.
Nothing is quite so refreshing on a hot summer day as cool water! Austin offers plenty of opportunities to enjoy the water, with both natural and manmade swimming locations. Here are some of the top spots for cool, wet, summer fun in Austin:
- Barton Springs Pool is a three acre pool, fed by underground springs that keep it a cool 68 degrees, year round.
- Deep Eddy Pool is the oldest manmade swimming pool in Texas. This pool was once the center of a resort, built around a swimming hole in the Colorado River.
- Lady Bird Lake, formally known as Town Lake, is a great place for kayaking, as well as other water sports.
- The Guadalupe River is a popular tubing spot for people interested in both long and short runs on the water.
If you’re more interested in dry outdoor fun, check out one of Austin’s 261 parks. Zilker Park is one that is quite popular, and is home to many amenities and festivals as well as the Umlauf Sculpture Garden, Botanical Gardens and the Zilker Hillside Theater. Many of Austin’s parks offer hiking and biking trails.
If you like the outdoors, but have had a little “too much” nature, check out a festival! Blues on the Green, for example, is a music festival held during the summer in Zilker Park. Not into music? Austin has tons of summer festivals, which range from average to downright quirky. Consider the Hot Sauce Festival or the Austin Bat Fest, for some truly unique Texan fun.
Prefer your summer fun in Austin indoors? Try a visit to a local museum! From the Austin Children’s Museum, to the Blanton Museum of Art, to the Austin Nature & Science Center, there are museums in Austin to cater to everyone’s interests.
If you’re looking for summer fun in Austin because you are shopping for a new home in the area, you owe it to yourself to check out Belterra. A master planned community located between downtown Austin and Dripping Springs, Belterra offers beautiful homes, with city convenience, in the pristine Texas Hill Country.